[Histonet] Universal antigen retrieval method

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Tue Feb 15 09:49:26 CST 2005

Dr. Kiernan  brought our attention to a current article on dewaxing
agents from the JHC (Vol 53(1): 121-129, 2005) that I read yesterday.
In addition to anticipating more discussion about this, I would also
like to highlight another article in the same volume.

These researchers from Japan are using citraconic anhydride and heat to
reverse protein cross-linking in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded
(FFPE) tissue samples.  This may be a very useful tool for those of us
doing immunostaining with antibodies that are not characterized for use
in FFPE samples.  The authors did prospective parallel studies with FFPE
and frozen section, although they didn't indicate how the frozen
sections were handled, i.e. freshly frozen and acetone fixed post
sectioning?  At any rate, give it a read and let us know what you think.
Is this really as good as it sounds?

 Namimatsu S et al. (2005) Reversing the Effects of Formalin Fixation
with Citraconic Anhydride and Heat:  A Universal Antigen Retrieval
Method, J Histochem Cytochem. 53(1): 3-11

Teri Johnson
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.