[Possible SPAM] - RE: [Histonet] Polka dots and RE: Water bathtemperature[Scanned] - Found word(s)[Scanned][Scanned]

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon Feb 14 10:26:10 CST 2005

Could you try something for me? Could you try post fixing the 45 degree
section is something? Take two 45 degree sections treated exactly the same
and post fix one in maybe mercury. Then stain both of them; if the formalin
one has polka dots and the mercury one doesn't you have some answer. If both
have polka dots, then I'm stumped. I'm just assuming it is the effect of
extra heat on poorly fixed tissue that is stopping the mordanting effect of
aluminium ions on the nucleic acids; a touch of mercury may be the solution.

If it works, then fix in formalin longer; sound sense?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rebecca Barnhart [mailto:RBARNHART <@t> summithealth.org]
Sent: 14 February 2005 16:06
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Possible SPAM] - RE: [Histonet] Polka dots and RE: Water
bathtemperature[Scanned] - Found word(s)[Scanned]

Yes the waterbath is cleaned everyday and there is no wax left on it.  I am
sure that all the wax is being removed or we would see it on both section
(from the waterbath at 38 and 45).  I have done test time after time
staining several slides (some cut at 38 and others at 45) at the same time
and the slides cut at 45 will always show polka dots, even with fresh
americlear (we do not use xylene) and alcohols.

>>> Kemlo Rogerson <Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk> 2/14/2005 11:01:29 AM >>>
But why does it happen only with the 'hotter' bath? Surely the wax would not
be removed from the sections floated out on the 'cooler' bath as well? You
would assume that it is either the effect of the 'extra' heat or that there
is something odd about that waterbath. I assume that the bath is clean and
we are not dealing with wax melting in the 'hotter' bath and thereby
contaminating the sections?