[Histonet] marking liver in vivo for later collection

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> bidmc.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:25:03 CST 2005

Hello everyone,

This may be more of a surgery question than histology, but as the
knowledge on this forum seems rather diverse I was hoping someone could
help me.

I am injecting various viral vectors directly into the liver (i.e.
intrahepatically) of mice.  As you can imagine, the incision for this
injection is rather small compared to the entire liver.  When I collect
the tissue, it is sometimes difficult to determine where the injection
was made.  As my virus doesn't seem to diffuse very far from the
injection site, I would like to mark the injection site in some way.
Right now when I collect the tissue I can usually narrow it down to the
correct lobe.  Is there any way to mark the liver at the time of
injection so that collection is easy later?  I have heard of surgeons
burning their initials into tissue that they were removing for later
analysis.  Could this be possible, perhaps just a small prick with a
heated probe?

I don't want to do anything that is unethical, could compromise the
health of the animal, or cause undue stress or pain.  Any advice would
be appreciated.  It is so much easier with the brain where you can see
the site of injection and follow a needle track.

Thanks,

Caroline Bass