[Histonet] Re: Formaldehyde vs Formalin (Is it formol, not formal?)

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Sun Feb 6 14:54:48 CST 2005

Dear Bryan,

As always, you're right. Formal is methylal.

I'd never noticed that use of "formal" before. You're
quite right of course; it's all there in the Merck Index
and elsewhere, for all to read. One implication of this
is that we probably should not write "formal-saline."
This was advocated by J.R.Baker (Principles of Biological
Microtechnique) on the grounds that formaldehyde was an
ALdehyde, and not and alcohOL as implied by "formol."

A little methylal (= "formal") is present in commercial
formalin (= aqueous formaldehyde, 37%w/w = 40%w/v) because
of the small amount of methanol that's added to retard
polymerization, which results in precipitation of
insoluble paraformaldehyde (= polyoxymethylene).

There is an inconsistency in the Merck Index (I'm looking
at the 12th edition, 1996) that amounts to an error [Gasp!]
in the "Formaldehyde" entry. There it states that cooling
or evaporation of an aqueous formaldehyde solution yields
solid trioxymethylene. That's wrong; the solid stuff is
paraformaldehyde, a much higher polymer. Trioxymethylene
is a cyclic trimer - 3 formaldehyde molecules joined in a
small ring - more often called trioxane. The Merck Index
entries for "Paraformaldehyde" and "s-Trioxane" are up
to date and correct. The former states that the name
trioxymethylene has, in the past, been wrongly applied to
paraformaldehyde. Less than 30 years ago I had at least
one jar of paraformaldehyde from a major N. American
supplier with "(trioxymethylene)" also on the label, as
if it were a synonym.

Trioxane (real trioxymethylene) is very different from
paraformaldehyde. It dissolves in water without much
depolymerization - just enough to yield safely antiseptic
amounts of formaldehyde. It does not depolymerize at all
at pH >7 and could not simply be used as a solid source
of formaldehyde for making neutral buffered fixatives.

My source of chemistry for all the above is JF Walker's
book, "Formaldehyde" (3rd ed 1964; reprinted by Krieger,
NY in 1975). I was lucky enough to find one in a 2nd
hand bookshop in Britain about 15 years ago, quite by
chance.
                              John.
John A. Kiernan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology