[Histonet] Masson's Trichrome Stain

NIDAL E MUVARAK nmuvarak <@t> facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 4 14:17:12 CST 2005

Hello. I want to do a Masson's trichrome stain on some rat arteries. I
never did this before. All I know are the purpose and the principle. So
I googled up a protocol from a website from which I had gotten a
protocol for VVG, which worked pretty well on our frozen tissue. But
this protocol mentions only paraffin sections. Would it work on frozen,
aceton-fixed tissue? Here's a brief description of the protocol:
Bouin's solution is used as a fixative (contains saturated picric acid,
formaldehyde, and acetic acid). Hematoxylin for 10 min. Biebrich
scarlet for 5 min. Phosphotungstic/phosphomolybdic acid for 10 min.
Aniline blue for 5 min. 1% acetic acid for 1 min. Of course, all steps
have washes. Then dehydrate, clear, and coverslip. Does that sound
right for frozen sections? Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Nidal Muvarak
Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
University of Wisconsin