[Histonet] Re: Nomenclature: HT equivalent in France[Scanned]

John Auld John.Auld <@t> whnt.nhs.uk
Fri Feb 4 05:33:43 CST 2005

Hi Kemlo

I was trying to keep our somewhat complex situation as simple as possible
for our overseas colleagues. Also it seems to me that biomedical scientist
equivalents in some other countries are called technicians, technologists
or similar.


PS I have an MLA in the second year of a BMS BSc course and doing very
well, hope that's not tempting fate.

                      Kemlo Rogerson                                                                       
                      <Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> e        To:       "Auld John (RBL) WIRRAL HOSPITAL TR"              
                      lht.nhs.uk>               <John.Auld <@t> whnt.nhs.uk>, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
                                               cc:       TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org                         
                      02/04/2005 11:20         Subject:  RE: [Histonet] Re: Nomenclature: HT equivalent in 
                      AM                        France[Scanned]                                            

One slight point. I think technical staff also include MLA's (Medical
Laboratory Assistants) who despite some having an 'inappropriate degree'
perfectly trainable to ultimately become BMS's; in fact some carry out very
responsible tasks. We also have Phlebotomists and Cytoscreeners too. I am
also confused as to whether BMS's are 'technical staff' or 'scientific
staff'. When we were state registered under the Medical Technicians Board
could have been argued so, but now we have a protected title and some have
chartered status, then I don't know. But I do know that all Lab Staff are
NOT Biomedical Scientists that I do know.

Kemlo Rogerson
Cellular Pathology Manager
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
DD. 01254-294162
Mobile 0774-9754194

-----Original Message-----
From: John Auld [mailto:John.Auld <@t> whnt.nhs.uk]
Sent: 04 February 2005 09:34
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Nomenclature: HT equivalent in France[Scanned]

Hi Teri

You are correct about the UK. All path lab technical staff are biomedical
scientists, requiring BSc plus 1 years OTJ traing before becoming
registered (mandatory). This is changing slightly as new degree courses
which will incorporate some of the OTJ training are starting up. These will
allow the graduate to be registered at graduation, hopefully improving
recruitment. For progression to more senior levels MSc is required.
The Institute of Biomedical Scientists website has a lot of info

Hope this is helpful


John Auld MSc CSci FIBMS
Dept of Histopathology and Clinical Cytology
Arrowe Park Hospital
Arrowe Park Road

Internal extn 2560
External Tel 0151 604 7025

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:37:47 -0600
From: "Johnson, Teri" <TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Nomenclature: HT equivalent in France
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
             <mailman.0.1107453600.17247.histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain;            charset="us-ascii"

For those histologists working in France (and other European countries),
what is the nomenclature used for your position?  In the UK we are
biomedical scientists? And what are the education requirements for such?

Any info (or links to helpful websites) is appreciated.


Teri Johnson
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.
Kansas City, Missouri  64110
tjj <@t> stowers-institute.org

Histonet mailing list
Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

More information about the Histonet mailing list