[Histonet] Alcian Blue problem

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Feb 3 12:27:42 CST 2005

It also stains ceramic sinks pretty well! The dye cations
are supposed to stick to the silicate anions of the glass
or pot. The slide adhesive paper is:

Archimbaud E, Islam A, Preisler HD (1986) Alcian blue
method for attaching glycol methacrylate sections to
glass slides. Stain Technology 61: 121-123.

To obtain a positively charged surface this way you'd
have to stain the slides immediately before using, and
wash in something a bit acidic. Anything as basic as
water removes the pendant cationic groups from bound
alcian blue, leaving behind uncharged and completely
insoluble copper phthalocyanine. I don't have that
issue of Stain Technology to hand, so cannot check up
on the method.
--
John A. Kiernan