[Histonet] fluorescent counterstain

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Feb 2 21:45:25 CST 2005

There are many. My favourite is neutral red
(CI 40040; Basic red 5). Stain sections for
5 min with a 0.002% aqueous solution, then
dehydrate, clear and cover. Use a non-fluorescent
mountant such as DPX. Orange-red fluorescence
with a wide range of workable excitation
wavelength (325-500 nm). For more information
and a picture, see Neuroscience 99: 755-764 (1994).

     John Kiernan
     London, Canada