[Histonet] storage of frozen cryosections (again)

Kathleen Spencer kspencer <@t> utmem.edu
Wed Feb 2 11:08:42 CST 2005

We pick up our sections and put them in a slide box that is in the
cryostat and keep them there until we are finished sectioning. Then we
rush them to the -80 freezer. We put a dessicant pack or two in the box
with the slides, and we wrap the slide box in foil, then stick that
into a plastic bag that we label as to what the slides are. When we are
ready to do the next step,  we remove the box from the freezer, quickly
take out the slides we need & put the box back. We then place a warm
finger under the section for half a second, then put the slide into
cold fix or 70% alcohol, just depends on what we are using the slides
for. It is usually LCM for RNA. but it could work for other things like
IHC. The morphology is terrible on fresh frozen tissue sections, so for
IHC we always perfuse the animal with PFA and store the tissue in in
20% sucrose, then freeze the tissue for cryosections. Then they can air
dry because they are fixed.
Make sense? I hope this helps.

Kathleen Spencer HT (ASCP)
Lab Manager/LCM Supervisor