[Histonet] Formalin pigment

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Feb 1 10:51:43 CST 2005

Formalin pigment is formed by the action of acid
(pH <5.6) or alkali (pH >8) on haemoglobin. According
to Lillie's big book (p. 488-489) similar pigment occurs
around sites of haemorrhage in the gastric mucosa; it's
then called HCl pigment. Malaria pigment is also
closely similar. Lillie cites his own work in the field,
which was published as 3 papers in 1947.
--
John A. Kiernan