[Histonet] Happy or Merry Christmas.

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Mon Dec 26 09:26:10 CST 2005

"Happy Holidays," is simply an attempt to be inclusive.  To strangers, I
say, "Happy Holidays."  To those I know are Christian, or to strangers who
wish me a Merry Christmas, I say, "Merry Christmas."  To Jewish friends, I
say, "Happy Hanukkah."  I also ask my Muslim teaching assistant when Ramadan
starts so that I know when to say, "Ramadan Mobarak!" to my Muslim students.
For my Baha'i friends, I wait until the 21st of March to wish them a happy
Nawruz.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bryan
Llewellyn
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 2:33 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Happy or Merry Christmas.

Strange isn't it?  The message was, as far as I recall, "Peace on earth,
goodwill toward men"  What a pity some can't show it!  Snide remarks because

someone expresses a wish for happiness within some other tradition than
Christmas?  That is nonsense, and completely unchristian.  Good wishes
should be accepted for what they are - a spiritual wish or blessing.  As a
committed atheist I accept them as such, so thank you all.

Happy Holidays - Christmas, Yule, Saturnalia, Solstice, Hanukkah and a
myriad of other midwinter celebrations ancient and modern.

Bryan Llewellyn