[Histonet] CY2/CY3 vs Alexa488/546-555

Andrea T. Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 21 18:40:32 CST 2005

Has anyone done a SIDE-BY-SIDE comparison of Cy2 or Cy3 as compared
with Alexa 488 or Alexa 546/555? I am ideally looking for
experimental results not anecdotal information if possible .... I
know we have all heard that Alexas are the best and this is certainly
true as compared to FITC. But are they better compared to CY2 and CY3
from Jackson Labs?

I ask b/c I love Jackson Labs secondaries and they don't sell Alexa
conjugates :( I use Alexa Streptavidin from Molecular Probes but am
not such a fan of their secondaries for TISSUE staining (they give me
some strange artifacts sometimes although they work great for cell
culture work). I want to keep ordering Jackson ImmunoResearch quality
secondaries  - they are just SO SPECIFIC for mouse work but they only
sell CY2 and CY3 (which have worked for me thus far).

Decisions, decisions .... Comments, opinions, suggestions?

THANKS!!
Andrea