[Histonet] sealing slides with diluted permount

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> bidmc.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 19 12:51:42 CST 2005

Hello,

I have some slides of GFP expressing tissue.  I am using the prolong
gold mounting media from Molecular Probes to mount the coverslips but
now I have to seal them.  I have read that the best way to do this is
with diluted permount.  Unfortunately I have never sealed slides
before and am having a hard time visualizing the process.

What is a good starting dilution for the permount?  I was thinking
1:10 with xylenes to start, but this is just a guess.  How exactly do
you apply the permount?  Can you just pipet it around the edges or do
you need to brush it on in some manner?  Does it have to be flush
with the coverslip or can you have some buildup?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Caroline Bass