[Histonet] Histonet-5-(p-dimethylamino-benthylamino-benzylidine)

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Dec 15 10:14:07 CST 2005

The reagent is
5-(4-dimethylaminobenzylidene)rhodanine. It's in
the Sigma catalogue (D-1801) and I'm sure other
vendors will also have it. The name may also be
written as p-dimethylaminobenzylidenerhodanine.
Rhodanine is a different chemical, which wouldn't
work (and isn't in the Sigma catalogue). It is
wrong to call the histochemical method for copper
a "rhodanine stain," even though this phrase is
widely used informally and is occasionally seen in
print. (Dyes and fluorochromes with "rhodamine" in
their names are completely unrelated despite
differing by only one letter.
)

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO