[Histonet] Re: Myelin in spinal cord

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:59:29 CST 2005

I'm curious as to why paraffin was not advised?  Reasons?

We had terrible luck with frozen sections and prefer to do paraffin
sections for myelin - one can either do a Kluver Barrera luxol fast blue or
you can do John Kiernans solochrome cyanin (gives you black myelin instead
of blue).  There are many new myelin staining technics out there, some are
fluorescent and a just published method in Dec issue of J Histochemistry
Cytochemistry.   Check out this journal for other myelin staining methods
too.   Molecular Probes has another fluorescent myelin staining kit - go to
their website to check on what they offer.

Gayle Callis
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University - Bozeman