[Histonet] Cuting speed and sem-thin plastic sectioning

Lawrence D Lanberg/O/VCU lanbergld <@t> vcu.edu
Tue Dec 13 19:18:21 CST 2005

   Hello,

   I  am a beginning microtomist -    most part - in a Biochemistry laborato   retinas  using  plastic  (Spurr's  Formula).&nbs   MT-1000  ultramicrotome.  My sectioning, staining and    developed  very  well  in  the  4 months I have done this. I have   little  thing,  though,  that  seems to be impeding progress: Speed of
   cut

   Currently,  the only way I get quality sec   mm/sec.  Which is almost the slowest setting on t   lucky,  I  may  get  three blocks done per hour; 20 section   slides per block. This is slow output, from what I am told.

   I  have experimented cutting these on a speed as high    This   greatly   increases my   output,   obviously,   but   after      staining-destaining  the  sections  appear  corrugated.  But  they are
   beautiful

   I  am  un   cordurouy-like     plastic  (hard  formulation   self-made  glass  knives,  can  anybody   possibly  cut  on  the  higher  speeds,  while  mai   section?

   Thank You

   &
   Larry Lanberg

   Student Worker IST