[Histonet] Tap Water in Staining

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Dec 8 08:38:40 CST 2005

Distilled or deionized ("pure") water nearly always has a pH
between 5 and 6 because of dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic
acid) from the air. To change the colour of haemalum-stained
nuclei from red to blue the pH should be 7 or higher. Hard tap
water is neutral or slightly alkaline, and the dissolved calcium
bicarbonate can serve as a buffer. A drop of anything alkaline
will bring the pH of pure water
to a little over 7. I use limewater (saturated, that's about
0.3%, aqueous calcium hydroxide) because Ca(OH)2 is harmless and
cheap.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada