[Histonet] Microtomy

Charles.Embrey Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com
Thu Dec 1 15:36:20 CST 2005

You are 100% right that helping a technician is much more effective than
replacing one.  The big problem here is that while you are busy
psychoanalyzing her problems she is cutting through needle core biopsies
that may contain needed tissue for correct diagnosis.  I trained a PA
student last year from a nearby University and she had a real problem
with obsessive compulsive behavior when it came to cleaning between
cases on the grossing board.  She actually got the shakes when I took
her cleaning solution away but she was able to work through it and her
grossing speed doubled.  I fully believe in working through problems as
long as the patient is not in jeopardy but that is where I have to draw
the line.

Charles Embrey PA(ASCP)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bryan
Llewellyn
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 2:42 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Microtomy

I would imagine this takes her some time to do, perhaps an hour or so.
What
would she be doing if she were not cleaning her knife holder.  Possibly
she
does not feel comfortable doing that other work and this may be a way to

avoid it.  If so, an answer could be to increase her confidence level
for
the other work.  It could also be she is not comfortable sectioning and
the
cleaning is a distractor to avoid facing the issue of poor quality, in
which
case further training would be needed.  Most employers find that
assisting
an employee to overcome problems is more effective than replacing one.
However, the bottom line is that the work must be done properly.

Bryan Llewellyn