[Histonet] Levels and Recuts

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Sun Aug 28 18:14:10 CDT 2005

A great method of dealing with the problem
A good example of scientific/pathologist communication that results in
excellent quality.
Terry, I wish I could be "inflammatory" (I calm down by mid-week) but I
can't.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
The Children's Hospital at Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Marshall
Terry Dr,Consultant Histopathologist
Sent: Friday, 26 August 2005 9:30 PM
To: Stephen Peters M.D.; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Levels and Recuts

Another subject talked about several times before.

I agree it is sensible to call another section (usually 'cos there is
something technically wrong with the first), a recut. I usually scribble on
the form, something like, "bloody rubbish" or "?Q.C.", or something
similarly inflammatory:-)

Levels are just a few extra sections at an arbitrary interval.

Serial sections are self explanatory, and semi-serial is a combination of
serial and levels - cut in a bit then do a burst of serials, then repeat.
Sometimes I ask for levels through the block. What is asked for depends and
what you are looking for and how you expect to find it. Invariably, for
anything other than levels, I talk about the problem to the tech., so that
they can cut with an eye to the problem.

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path  Consultant
Pathologist  Rotherham General Hospital  South Yorkshire  England
        terry.marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk