[Histonet] independent histology lab

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Aug 26 13:50:29 CDT 2005

Brandon

We are a small contract lab that services Universities, Pharmaceutical
and Biotech companies.  When I hire individuals for a histology position
I first of all require a BS or HT or HTL certification. I have OTJ
trained multiple individuals through the years who have become HTL
certified.  My last tech was hired with a BS.  By the time she left my
business she was both HTL certified and passed her QIHC.   I feel that I
pay a competitive wage, with full benefits (medical, dental and
retirement).  Its my personal opinion that my business will only be a
good as the individuals that I hire, so I want to hire the best, which
means I need to pay a competitive salary with benefits, etc.  I just
hired a new histotech, he's HT certified and did use the ASCP salary
survey to judge an appropriate wage.  I ended up with a starting salary
that was in the mid to high range on the scale.  I'm not speaking for
all small contract labs, just for myself.  Overall starting your own
histology business is both challenging and rewarding.  Lots of hours and
sometimes lots of stress, but I wouldn't change a thing.  I love my job.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592