[Histonet] Differentiation between Eosinophil and Neutrophil by Sirius Red staining?

Felix Rintelen frintelen <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 02:53:29 CDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide by histological staining whether an infiltrate in mouse tissue is dominated by either neutrophils or eosinophils. I performed the Llewllyn's sirius red F3B staining (see web page http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/amyloid/siriusllew.htm, Sirius Red F3B = Direct Red 80 was from Sigma Cat N° 365548) which according to the protocol stains Eosinophils and Paneth cells. This staining was also recommended in the Histonet and indeed the staining worked very nicely.

Now, my question is just, if anybody knows if neutrophils are not stained by this procedure or not. In other words, if I can be sure that when a cell is stained red, it will for sure be an eosinophil and not a neutrophil.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Felix

Felix Rintelen

Serono Pharmaceutical Research Institute

Geneva, Switzerland