[Histonet] Re: Stain for fungi in cytological smear (Matt Prideaux)

Martin Elizabeth - Arlington Elizabeth.Martin2 <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Wed Aug 24 12:22:24 CDT 2005

You can use either air-dried or alcohol fixed smears. Both work fine. If you are looking for cryptococcus and using a mucicarmine stain, then the alcohol looks better. GMS and PAS, I also prefer alcohol fixed, but the air-dried also works if that is all you have.

Elizabeth Martin, M.D.
Northern Virginia Community Hospital
Arlington, VA

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Stain for fungi in cytological smear (Matt Prideaux)

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:34:44 +0100
From: Matt Prideaux <M.Prideaux <@t> sheffield.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Stain for fungi in cytological smear
To: RStaskiewicz <@t> agr.state.il.us, Histonet

The lab I used to work at did Grocott's staining for fungi on cytology smears
regularly, without the cells washing off. I think the slides were APES
treated.

Hope that helps.

--
Matt Prideaux
Academic Unit of Bone Biology

Quoting RStaskiewicz <@t> agr.state.il.us:

> Good morning all! I have a request to stain a cytological smear of a nasal
> wash for cryptococcus. I have never stained smears for fungi, just tissue.
> Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
>

> Rae Ann Staskiewicz HT(ASCP)
> Section Head-Histology
> Galesburg Animal Disease Lab
> 2100 S. Lake Storey Rd
> Galesburg, IL 61401
> (309) 344-2451
> rstaskiewicz <@t> agr.state.il.us

End of Histonet Digest, Vol 21, Issue 31