[Histonet] Stain for fungi in cytological smear

Scholz, Stephen J. Stephen.J.Scholz <@t> osfhealthcare.org
Wed Aug 24 11:10:00 CDT 2005

We stain a lot of cytology slides for fungus with the GMS method.  The
bad news is they are a bit temperamental when it comes to cells staying
on the slide.  I strongly suggest that you use charged or subbed slides
(we use fisher's tissue path superfrost plus gold slides only for this
application--pricy little buggers) and fix the smears for 10 minutes in
95%ETOH.  This is the process that has given us the most success
although there still is an occasion when the cells wash off during the
stain.  Good luck.

Stephen Scholz HT(ASCP)
St. Anthony Medical Center
Rockford IL

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
RStaskiewicz <@t> agr.state.il.us
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:50 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Stain for fungi in cytological smear

Good morning all! I have a request to stain a cytological smear of a
nasal
wash for cryptococcus. I have never stained smears for fungi, just
tissue.
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Rae Ann Staskiewicz HT(ASCP)
Section Head-Histology
Galesburg Animal Disease Lab
2100 S. Lake Storey Rd