[Histonet] Fixative for storage of perfused rat organs

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Fri Aug 19 16:36:33 CDT 2005

  Tip:  to preserve the extracellular space for EM of soft tissue, use the Perfusion One, and associated protocol.  It was originally developed for EM.
http://www.myneurolab.com/myneurolab/mnl_products_detail.asp?idproduct=471001&catdesc=Histology+Equipment&CatThreeID=674&CatOneID=4&subcatdesc=Sacrifice+Equipment&idsubcategory=21

Don't know about the storage question.

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
http://www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Clover Daley
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:12 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Fixative for storage of perfused rat organs

I am putting a tissue bank together for research students.
We are currently perfusing with 2% paraformaldehyde and 1% glutaraldehyde in phosphate buffer to collect tissues for EM studies.
The liver, kidney, stomach, brain will be stored. What fixative and temperature of solution would be best.
These tissues will be used for light microscopy studies.
Also we will be perfusing with 4% paraformaldehyde in phosphate buffer, harvesting the same tissues. Should they be stored in the same solution and do they need to be kept in the refrigerator?

Thank you for your time,
Clover Daley
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research