[Histonet] paraffin problem

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Thu Aug 18 12:39:07 CDT 2005

You mean you don't have a little bottle of xylene on the shelf next to your
washing machine? :-)  I do!  I use it to spot-treat paraffin spills and
sometimes other types of non-water soluble stains like oil or grease. Most
common clearing agents can be applied to most fabrics without harming either
the fabric or the dyes in the fabric.  I usually apply the xylene with a
small plastic dropper, out on the patio, which is right off the laundry
area. I wait about 10 minutes after applying the solvent, then just drop the
item into the washer while it is already washing (water as hot as the
garment will allow, and double the usual amount of detergent).  Both the
clearing agent and the dissolved paraffin wash out quickly.

I did have one little problem with one of my wife's blouses though. She
spilled candle wax on it. The blouse was white with little pink and blue
flowers, and green leaves. I brought it into work, and I applied chloroform
to the spot. It removed the wax quickly. And the blue flowers. Oops.

Paul M.