[Histonet] making up aldehyde fuchsin with a substitute aldehyde

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Aug 17 11:05:01 CDT 2005

One of the problems with making up aldehyde fuchsin is accessing
paraldehyde, a controlled substance and requires a Drug Enforcement
Administration number to purchase, payment of handling fee, and so on.  If
you are in a clinical lab and have the number in available pharmacy,  no
problem.

For those who do not have a DEA number, then one can substitute
acetaldehyde, an uncontrolled substance, very cheap, and but still breaks
down after a year or so.

Substitution is 2.5 mls acetaldehyde instear od 1.5 ml paraldehyde.

This was published by Peggy Wenk, J Histotechnology, Letters to the Editor
19(4):353, 1996.

This has worked well for her lab, and you can always contact her for
further discussion.

At 09:10 AM 8/17/2005, you wrote:
>The solution of aldehyde fuchsine has a rather
>short shelf-life (8 weeks) so it's best to make
>up your own. It is also possible to recover
>the aldehyde fuchsine as a precipitate that can
>be collected by filtering, dried and stored
>for 10 or more years. Solutions made from aldehyde
>fuchsine powder (0.125% in 70% ethanol with
>1% acetic acid) are more stable than the traditional
>directly made solution, being good for about 2 years.
>
>It is said that solutions of aldehyde fuchsine
>made from the powder will not stain pancreatic
>islet B cells without prior permanganate oxidation
>(see Mowry,RW 1978 Stain Technol. 53: 141-154. This
>paper also has useful tips for other uses of
>aldehyde fuchsine.
>--
>-------------------------------
>John A. Kiernan
>Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology
>The University of Western Ontario
>London,   Canada   N6A 5C1
>    kiernan[AT]uwo.ca
>    http://publish.uwo.ca/~jkiernan/
>    http://instruct.uwo.ca/anatomy/530/index.htm
>_______________________________
>Robin Newlin wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> > Does anyone know if aldehyde fuchsin is available commercially, or do I
> have to brew my own.
> > Thanks
> > Robbin Newlin
> > Manager, Cell Imaging/Histology Core Facility
> > The Burnham Institute
> > 10901 N. Torrey Pines Road
> > LaJolla, Ca. 92037
> > 858-646-3100 ext.3552