[Histonet] aldehyde fuchsin

Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk
Wed Aug 17 10:50:25 CDT 2005

John tells us:
"It is also possible to recover
the aldehyde fuchsine as a precipitate that can
be collected by filtering, dried and stored
for 10 or more years."

OK John ......how?
(This would solve my problem of needing it every 4 months only and suffering the groans of the techs at having to make it up again)

BTW - I am sure that someone suggested a paraldehyde substitute at one time, but I omitted to keep the post.

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
 Consultant Pathologist
 Rotherham General Hospital
 South Yorkshire
 England
        terry.marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: John A. Kiernan [mailto:jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca]
Sent: 17 August 2005 16:11
To: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] aldehyde fuchsin

The solution of aldehyde fuchsine has a rather
short shelf-life (8 weeks) so it's best to make
up your own. It is also possible to recover
the aldehyde fuchsine as a precipitate that can
be collected by filtering, dried and stored
for 10 or more years. Solutions made from aldehyde
fuchsine powder (0.125% in 70% ethanol with
1% acetic acid) are more stable than the traditional
directly made solution, being good for about 2 years.

It is said that solutions of aldehyde fuchsine
made from the powder will not stain pancreatic
islet B cells without prior permanganate oxidation
(see Mowry,RW 1978 Stain Technol. 53: 141-154. This
paper also has useful tips for other uses of
aldehyde fuchsine.
--
John A. Kiernan