[Histonet] Help with Processing run

Rogerson Kemlo (ELHT) Pathology Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Wed Aug 17 03:35:25 CDT 2005

Personally, no, but the problem sits with your Operational Procedures.
Both they and ICC require standardisation and having differing wax
impregnation time's flies in the face of good laboratory practice.
Hardening then re-melting is an answer but that will delay blocking out
until the wax had melted again. Maybe the answer is to never be sick or
have a backup processing cycle that finishes 3 hours later; I concede
that will not accommodate your first day of sickness but then there
would not be anyone there to take the biopsies out of wax to harden
anyway; would there?

You need a processing machine connected to the internet or dial up that
can be altered remotely; Biochemistry has them!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of cindy
keith
Sent: 17 August 2005 08:47
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Help with Processing run

I started a new job in a lab that has always only had a day shift.  My
new
hours here are 3 am -11am replacing a person who worked 530am-2pm.  This

change was not well received by my fellow coworkers/supervisor.  My
question
is if the processing run ends at 3am and if I were to be out sick would
you
think it would be ok to leave bx/lg tissue sitting in the parrafin at
62-64
degrees for 2 1/2 hours-to potentially 3 hours waiting for the next
person
to come in or would you think it would be better for the tissue to be
removed by a fellow lab person and hardened on counter then remelted to
embed upon someone else arriving?  Immunos are performed on this tissue
also.  Your responses would be greatly appreciated.