[Histonet] Immunofluorescence problem-Non-specific binding appears incontrol slide

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Sat Aug 13 23:23:13 CDT 2005

Al Floyd's astute suggestion of a Falck-Hillarp
reaction is certainly a possible cause of
"specific-looking" autofluorescence. In rat intestine
and its associated connective tissue you can expect
a F-H reaction in mast cells and classical argentaffin
cells, from their high content of serotonin. (The
noradrenaline in sympathetic axons doesn't give a
localized fluorescent product with ordinary
formaldehyde solutions.)

If your unwanted fluorescence is definitely due to
binding of the FITC-labelled secondary antiserum, a
possible cause may be binding of the FITC-secondary
to something in your "blocking" protein:

You wrote:
> ... Block with 10% donkey serum (I tried adding 10%
> rat serum or 3% BSA) for 2hrs (I tried also blocking
> overnight... or I added Background buster (from
> Inovvex) and Fc receptor blocker ...

Not all your  "blocking" substances are identified,
but they are all intended to bind to the tissue.
Rat serum may not be good stuff to put on a rat
tissue if the secondary antiserum is an
anti-(rat immunoglobulin).

For competitive blocking of low affinity binding of
primary and labelled antibodies it's probably best
to go with either a "generic protein" such as bovine
albumin or a non-immune serum from the host species
of the secondary. Before using any trade-name product,
find out what it is and how it may work. Follow up
aome of the references in the small print at the
bottom of the brochure.

Clear thinking (what sticks to what, and why?) is
the paramount principle in immunohistochemistry.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada.