[Histonet] Embedding human cartilage/joint tissue in plastic

Casey, Jane Jane_Casey <@t> brown.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:22:58 CDT 2005

We are trying to use histology to validate our method of measuring cartilage thickness on wrist bones using ?CT scans. Initially we tried fixing a trapezoid fragment in formalin, de-mineralizing it, and embedding it in paraffin before slicing it into 5 ?m sections. This method led to non-uniform shrinkage of the tissue and clearly visible artifact. We would like to try a method, perhaps embedment in plastic, which will yield a more accurate measure of cartilage thickness. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jane Casey
Department of Orthopaedics
Brown Medical School / Rhode Island Hospital
Providence, RI 02912
Jane_Casey <@t> Brown.edu <mailto:Jane_Casey <@t> Brown.edu>