[Histonet] RE: need some help with frozen sections-tap vs. distilled water

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Thu Apr 28 02:09:35 CDT 2005

   Hi Andrea and Gayle,

   The story of the ruined cryo's after distilled water came from my
   preparations with the NSH hands-on workshop in Long Beach 2002. I was
   told that the NSH would supply me with just distilled water for
   everything. So I rehearsed the experiments here with distilled water
   only. Next, I was confronted with the poorest IHC staining ever,
   especially with respect to the nuclear counterstain/tissue morphology.
   It took me days before I figured out that the final washing step with
   distilled water was the real problem. I have the strong impression
   that especially lymphoid tissues are far more vulnerable to "distilled
   water washing" than other tissues. I don't know if this has something
   to do with the quality of our distilled water. Perhaps I need to
   repeat those simple experiments with the more standard MilliQ water as
   Gayle used.

   I have placed a picture at [1]www.histonet.org illustrating the
   difference I found with tap water vs. distilled water (tap vs. dist.
   water.pdf).

   Chris van der Loos, PhD
   Dept. of Pathology
   Academical Medical Center M2-230