[Histonet] Re: Distilled water rinse versus tap water rinsing,a curious thing

Andrea T. Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Wed Apr 27 09:41:02 CDT 2005

Dear Naira,

My institution's tap water does not blue my hematoxylin counterstain
to my satisfaction so this is why I prefer to use a blueing reagent
for immunos. I like my hematoxylin counterstain for IHC to be *really
really* blue so I need a blueing solution beyond that of tap water to
accomplish that. In addition, when doing quantitation based on color
gradations I wanted to install some sort of quality control and
reproducibility in the counterstaining and I found that using a
commercial reagent was better for that.  I found the ammonia water we
were using for paraffin H&Es to be very harsh on my frozens so now I
use the Scott's. If your tap water blues appropriately I would keep
using that it is much cheaper (aka free). Also as Gayle mentioned
there are many other cheaper sources of reagents similar to Scott's
which work just as well.

Andrea