[Histonet] viability of placenta

Vinnie Della Speranza dellav <@t> musc.edu
Tue Apr 26 15:00:14 CDT 2005

in order to provide an answer it would be most beneficial to understand what testing you'd be doing on refrigerated placentas. for example, we have found that for cytogenetics we still have viability after 48 hours refrigeration but of course it steadily drops off.
for routine histology one can easily refrigerate for 3 or 4 days and still get decent histology, possibly longer ( I haven't actually studied this) at my former facility placenta grossing was batched and done twice a week.

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, SC 29425
Ph: 843-792-6353
fax: 843-792-8974

>>> "Bernadette Weston" <bernaweston <@t> hotmail.com> 04/26/05 09:17AM >>>
How long can a placenta be refrigerated and still be viable for testing as
well as Histology?

Bernadette Weston HT
Histology Supervisor
Barberton Citizens Hospital