[Histonet] GFP again

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> bidmc.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 25 12:21:41 CDT 2005

Hey Guys,

I have been searching the internet and all sorts of forums, including
histonet trying to find the answers to my GFP questions.  Essentially,
I have a viral vector that I would like to inject into the liver which
expresses EGFP.  I would like to have the easiest way to determine if
it works or not.  I have heard that it is virtually impossible to
detect native fluorescence with GFP, and that frozen cryostat sections
completely lose the signal.  Am I missing something here?  There is a
paper that is essentially doing the same thing that I would like to do,
and they have enough signal that they can see it in the intact animal
with a UV lamp, or in 6 micron cryosections without fixation or
perfusion.  According to everything I read, this shouldn't work.  Does
EGFP produce a stronger signal that can be seen in this way?

The paper is:  Nature Biotechnol 2005 Mar; 23(3):321-8.

Any suggestions on how to process the liver such that I can see the
native EGFP signal would be greatly appreciated.  I have access to a
cryostat and a microtome.  I can freeze the tissue, perfuse the mouse,
whatever it takes.  I would prefer not to use immunostaining initially,
as I have to section through entire lobes to visualize where the virus
diffuses, etc.  I can use an antibody once I get a rough estimate of
where the signal is, but we don't have enough money to immunostain
every section.

Thanks,

Caroline Bass