[Histonet] Paraffin processing late stage mouse embryos

Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID) cfavara <@t> niaid.nih.gov
Tue Apr 19 18:31:36 CDT 2005

Teri,

I do a lot of work with mouse tissue and I find that if the tissue is
blowing up on the water bath that most likely there is inadequate paraffin
infiltration, which may be a result of inadequate fixation. If the staining
you are doing can stand a longer time in fixative I would recommend a week
in NBF making sure you have an adequate volume. I would try a gentler
processing schedule. 70%ETOH 3 hours, 80% ETOH 1 hour, 95% ETOH 2 changes 20
minutes each, 100% ETOH 2 changes each, Propar 3 changes 30 min each, 4
paraffin 4 changes 30 minutes each. I personally prefer Propar to Xylene for
mouse tissue and four paraffin baths. Hope this is helpful.

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
903 South 4th Street
Hamilton, MT 59840
406-363-9317

Disclaimer:
The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential
and may contain sensitive information. It should not be used by anyone who
is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in
error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage devices. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shall
not accept liability for any statements made that are sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives