[Histonet] EDTA

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Apr 18 13:33:13 CDT 2005

E sure to know which EDTA you are working with, there are several.

EDTA disodium salt, it will work for decalcification and if only soluble at
~ 10 g/100 ml water with pH of 4 to 6 (5% solution)

EDTA (no sodiums added) will work also.  It is only soluble at ~10g/100 ml
water, and will have pH of approx 4 to 6 (5% solution).

EDTA tetrasodium salt is very soluble in buffers/water, as much as 14g/100
mls, but is very alkaline at pH 9, you must adjust the pH down and Webb Jee
(very famous bone person) used acetic acid.  This is the EDTA we prefer for
bone work.

Fisher catalog show no great differences between these two different grades
of EDTA.

(Fisher BP 120-500 $27.38) is electrophoresis grade, has been tested for
lots of different things, found under Bioreagent listings and is the
disodium salt.

(Fisher S311-500 $36.37) is ACS certified found in analytical section of
their catalog, extensively tested, and is the a disodium salt.

It helps to keep a Fisher chemical catalog around to check out chemical
purity, etc, etc.

Either will work, go for the cheapest.    If all you are doing is
decalcification, then technical grade, even cheaper works just as well, the
tetrasodium salt is technical grade.

At 11:35 PM 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>I can buy two kinds of EDTA through my local university stores.
>
>One can be used for electrophoresis (Fisher BP 120-500 $27.38)
>and the other just listed as powder (Fisher S311-500 $36.37).
>
>With the great price difference (we have been using the $36.37 type) I was
>wondering if someone could tell me if there really is a difference and if I
>have to continue to use the pricey type.
>
>Thanks,
>Trisha
>U of Washington, Seattle

Gayle Callis