H&E stain on Re: [Histonet] cryosections

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:49:12 CDT 2005

We do H&E on frozen sections frequently.   Cut frozen sections, immerse
them immediately into NBF, you can fix for 15 minutes or longer (have
waited days or even even weeks before H&E) then stain with a basically
routine paraffin section H&E protocol. We have not fixed with Bouins
though.   We do not air dry frozen sections destined for an H&E stain, they
go directly to NBF.

Be careful to do tap water rinsing gently - FS are more fragile, use Plus
Charge slides.

After fixation, rinse briefly to get rid of NBF and proceed with
staining.   Stain is a progressive hematoxylin, Gill II or Richard Allen
Hematoxylin 1 for 1 1/2 minutes, rinse 1 minutes, dip 20 dips in Richard
Allen Clarifier, a mild acetic acid solution,  rinse in running tap water 1
min, bluing is either Scotts tap water substitute (30 sec) or Richard Allan
bluing solution for 30 sec to 1 min, rinse with running tap water 1 min,
70% ethanol, eosin y for 30 seconds, dehydrate, clear and mount coverslip.

You can probably use any hematoxylin you like as long as you adjust timing
for your frozen sections and we avoid ammonia water for bluing.  If your
tap water is alkaline, you can rinse in warm tap water for 1 minutes for
bluing also.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor