[Histonet] MICROSCOPIC DIGITAL CAMERAS

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 15 15:20:46 CDT 2005

Hi Everyone:

I am in the market for a new digital camera.
I use digital imaging to take a series of  microscopic pictures on each
case that comes through our department.
These images are then put on our image archive for the research community.
I have demoed the following cameras:

The  Leica DC 480  (5.1 megapixel)
The Olympus  DP70  (12.5 megapixel)
The Zeiss AxioCam HR  (1.3 Megapixel)

Could people give me an idea of their experience using these cameras,
the pros and cons, easy of use, etc.  (Leica vs Olympus vs Zeiss)?
The megapixel capacity seems not as important an issue to me, as
comparing the overall function of each company's line of cameras, since
I feel that I can pretty much extrapolate  from one resolution
capability to another within each company's line-up. The software seems
to be about the same within each company's group of cameras.

Thanks for any opinions or advice you can give me.

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center
McLean Hospital
Belmont, MA  02478
617-855-3592

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
 in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.