[Histonet] re:Tape Coverslip and undecalcified bone

Susan Owens ohenry <@t> dfw.net
Fri Apr 8 15:58:48 CDT 2005

Pat, we have been having the same problem for the last 12 months or so and
it only effects bone/cartilage. We do know the following.

1. More of a problem for us with knee cartilage.
2. But not all knee cartilage specimens.
3. It's NOT a precipitate. It you take one straight from the coverslipper to
the scope you can actually see it happening. I looks like the tape is
actually lifting up and the xylene removed from  certain pieces of tissue.
You can actually see it move across your field from normal looking tissue to
what you call 'brown precipitate'..
4. It also appears to happen more on the slightly thicker sections. Not
thick, just thicker then usual.
5. We believe it to be a tape problem.
6. Only hand coverslips corrects the problem.
We did experience something like this several years ago and after a while it
stop/corrected.

Right now this is not a big problem for us since it only effects 2-3 slides
a day. Like I said, for us
it's only effecting the non-decaled knee cartilage.

I mean to call the company, but just haven't done so.

Susan Owens

Susan Owens-Texas
ohenry <@t> dfw.net
voice: 817-261-7938
fax: 817-548-9876

"A bad day at the dog show is better then a good day at work!"