[Histonet] Does anyone charge for running immuno controls?

GUTIERREZ, JUAN juan.gutierrez <@t> christushealth.org
Thu Apr 7 09:52:29 CDT 2005

No we don't.  Controls are only use for QC purposes.

Juan C. Gutierrez, HT(ASCP)
Histology Laboratory Supervisor
(210)704-2533

My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.  Long live free speech!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Flores, Teresa
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:32 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Does anyone charge for running immuno controls?

Our EM Lab has never charged for controls on performing immunofluorescent
studies.
We do not use a negative and a positive control for each antigen (but I do
understand that there is a new CAP regulation addressing this) but rather,
our EM lab saves previously reported positive strongly positive for IgG,
IgM, IgA, and C3.
We section through leftover tissue (either renal or skin) and fix in hi
grade acetone and save slides in a -70oc freezer.
When sectioning a case for immunofluorescent studies, we pull two slides
out. On one of the slides with control section we  place patient section on
the lower half of the control and label (+) and tag both patient and control
tissue with Polyvalent (cocktail of IgG,IgM,IgA).
The other control we label (-) and place a pt section on the lower part as
well and leave in pbs and Coverslip.
Does anyone charge for these controls.
Our fee for immunofluorescent tagging is $100.00 each antigen. (I understand
that the AFIP charges $157.00 for each antigen)
Any imput will surely be appreciated.
Teresa