[Histonet] Cryosectioning Whole Fish

Amber R Tompsett tompset2 <@t> msu.edu
Wed Apr 6 10:07:34 CDT 2005

Hello Histonetters,

I am currently trying to develop a method to cryosection whole Japanese
medaka (a guppie-sized fish). We would eventually like to use labeled probes
to do in-situ hybridization on the sections. We have tried sectioning with a
disposable steel blade at multiple temperatures and section thicknesses. The
muscle seems to section fine, but the organs in the body cavity and the
brain (which are the parts of the fish we are interested in) shred or just
completely disappear.

Any ideas about what is happening or suggestions on how to get better
sections?

Thanks,
Amber Tompsett
Graduate Assistant