[Histonet] zincTris fixation on frozen sections

Yves Heremans herme013 <@t> umn.edu
Tue Apr 5 22:22:48 CDT 2005

Dear All,

I am in the process of staining mouse kidney samples containing grafted
mouse pancreatic islets with antibodies against MHC H2Dd and H2Db.
Tissue samples available are either FFPE or unfixed, snap frozen. I
decided to concentrate on the frozen samples due to the general
difficulty of staining for surface markers after formalin fixation. My
questions are:

1. If I want to use frozen sections, immediately fixed in zincTris
(formalin-free), will I need to process the slides through increasing
alcohols just as suggested for zincTris fixation of tissue samples ?
2. Will zincTris fixation yield better morphology compared to
conventional acetone fixation ?

Yves Heremans
University of Minnesota
Stem Cell Institute