[Histonet] Automation for test 4 cents worth

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Tue Apr 5 11:44:06 CDT 2005

Recent comments on the ASCP test:
I personally have a lot of problems with the practical portion where
automated machines are allowed to be used to prepare slides.
I don't think that I would want to submitt an automated slide.  How can you
take pride in that?.

Well, I have a lot of respect for both Bonnie and Barry, but I'm not sure
that what we're testing is whether a tech can successfully answer the timer,
drain the slides and put them in the next solution. That is the trivial part
of staining. If that's a problem then how about using commercially-prepared
stains for the test slides? Should we also require hand-dipping for tissue
processing? I think most labs now days both buy the prepared stains and use
automation to do the staining.

The skill is not the moving of objects through a series of solutions - it is
in knowing which to use and how to set up the solutions properly and, most
importantly,  in identifying when the stain is not correct - and  knowing
how to correct it. Indeed, even with commercially-prepared stains, there is
a lot of skill involved in deciding which one is best for your labs' use.
And skill/knowledge certainly is involved in setting up a machine to perform
any stain properly - the machine is not magic - it simply does what the user
tells it to do. It won't make a bad tech look good simply by its use.

Disclaimer - the company I work for manufactures automated instruments for
the histology lab.

Tim Morken
Lab Vision - Neomarkers
www.labvision.com