[Histonet] Re: ASCP - My 2 cents

Cazares, Ruth RCazares <@t> schosp.org
Fri Apr 1 14:21:39 CST 2005

Hi all,

I just have to add my opinion to what is going on, on the Histo net.
Don't department heads have a say in what the qualifications should be
for tech positions?  Maybe it is time to get together with the powers
that be and make a change.  ASCP has raised the education level for
certifying histo-techs, this should be an opportunity to get together
with your administrators and make requirement changes for your Histo
tech positions. That is exactly what I am going to do.  If your
institution prefers to hire uncertified people to do the work certified
techs should be doing, is this a place you really want to work?
Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and deserves to know that
their hard work is appreciated.  If you don't get this where you are at,
leave.  There are a lot of other places in need of histo-techs.

After my job was phased out at a hospital where I had worked for 10
years, I went to work at 3 different labs before I found my niche.  We
spend too much of our daily lives at our jobs, we don't need to be
unhappy and with high blood pressure the minute we walk into our lab.
Life is too short.

And as far as Continuing Education, NSH offers online CE and
teleconferences (about 8 or 9 a year ).  Leica and Thermoshandon (is
that their name now?) as I'm sure other vendors do also, offer 1 day
workshops for CEU's .  The continuing education for our field is out
there, sometimes we just have to look for it.

P.S.  I'll have a position open in December, anybody interested?

Lots of Love to all my Histo brothers and sisters,

Ruth Cazares HT (ASCP)

Department of Pathology

Swedish Covenant Hospital

Chicago, IL 60625

***  Confidentiality Statement ***
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may be subject to legal restriction.

Thank you for your cooperation.