[Histonet] Long term storage of tissue

Robert Krug rkrug <@t> sial.com
Fri Sep 24 13:18:37 CDT 2004

Peggy:  Thanks for sharing your expertise.  I would also like to thank the
other people who have responded to my query.    I have a copy of Bancroft
and Gamble.   I also have the 2nd and 4th Editions of Bancroft and
Stevens.  The 2nd Edition has a nice section on preparing Museum Quality
tissues. The chapter implies the tissues seemed to be used only for
viewing and  the tissues are processed and stored in various Kaiserling
solutions.  No mention is ever made to the tissues being utilized for
anything except viewing.

What I am really trying to locate is a study or a textbook which states at
what intervals the formalin should  be changed out - or does it  ever need
to be changed.  For every reference I find documenting the formation of
formic acid, I find another piece of information which simply states
tissues may be stored in formalin forever.  From the time I first started
working in Histology, I was always told that tissues stored in formalin
had to have the formalin changed on a yearly basis.  I can't remember that
we ever changed formalin solutions.  There were no OSHA requirements for
formaldehyde monitoring at that time. Changing the solutions or disposing
of formalin fixed tissues was always a dreaded experience in the days
before OSHA reclassified formaldehyde.   The bottles of formaldehyde
simply advised the user to "seek fresh air if you feel light headed." If
we needed to archive tissue, the tissue was always fixed in formalin and
placed in 70% ethanol before storing.   Why?  Because that's the way the
lab had always handled tissue.     I do have some experience with
spirochette controls which were fixed in formalin for around 1 week and
then stored in 70% alcohol.  This tissue was eventually embedded into
paraffin blocks, but the tissue was probably 5 years old before the last
of the tissue was embedded.  The staining with the Steiner Steiner
procedure remained unchanged from the time the tissue was first processed
to the time the last  wet tissue was section and processed.

When I was in the Army, the entire block of tissue from the visceration
was stored in a large pan and submersed in formalin.  The bodies went to
the funeral directors without the tissues being returned.  The volume of
10% NBF was never really sufficient to properly fix the large volume of
tissue retained.  Eventually the formalin evaporated and fungus would
sometimes be noted on the tissues. If the reaction were unreversible, why
the formation of fungus?   Although the center of the tissues were
unquestionably poorly fixed, it seems the tissue surface should have been
fixed.   By that time  the fungal growth was noted, the cases had been
signed out and the tissues were incincerated.  I seriously doubt if many
labs today would consider handling human tissues the way we did in the
70s.

 Many thanks

Bob Krug
St John, Missouri