[Histonet] Cresyl violet vs. cresyl violet acetate

Jennifer Brielmaier jbrielma <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 10:43:49 CDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I am a first-year graduate student in a biopsychology program and am enrolled in a basic histology course this semester. Today in class we are going to learn how to make cresyl violet stain solutions. Our instructor has informed us that we have a "mystery" bottle in the lab; it is not known whether it is cresyl violet or cresyl violet acetate. Can anyone tell me whether there is a simple test that can be performed that will tell us which solution is in the bottle? Thanks very much.

Jennifer