[Histonet] malarial pigment removal

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 10 03:42:42 CDT 2004

I've never tried the following on malaria pigment, but it does work on
formalin pigment. H&E will look a little different - nuclei slightly paler
but still good chromatin material, and only 2 shades of eosin instead of 3.
Really only notice the difference if you compare the 2 slides side by side -
one with removal and one without.

100 mL of 70% alcohol
3 mL of conc. ammonium hydroxide
Mix together in hood just before use. Place deparaffinized and hydrated
slides in this mixture. Depending on the amount of formalin pigment, leave
slides in for 30 minutes - 3 hours. (I find 1 hour works for most.) Rinse
well in water. Stain as usual.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bartlett, Jeanine" <JQB7 <@t> CDC.GOV>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 2:04 PM
Subject: [Histonet] malarial pigment removal

Histonetters:

What is the simplest and most frequently used procedure for removal of
malarial and/or formalin pigment?  I have heard concentrated sulfuric
acid works well but I do not know the time necessary in the acid.  I
have used saturated alcoholic picric acid in the past but no longer have
picric acid in my lab.  I have also heard of the Gridley technique.

I just wondered what everyone else is using.

Thanks in advance!

Jeanine Bartlett, HT(ASCP)
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity
1600 Clifton Road, MS/G-32