[Histonet] Land snail dissection & other shellfish

McCollough, Carol CMCCOLLOUGH <@t> dnr.state.md.us
Wed Sep 8 13:46:40 CDT 2004

You folks speaking of garlic & butter...

Over 1300 live oysters pass through my histology lab each fall, plus over 300 New England steamers (clams) - that's 108 dozen oysters on the half-shell and 27 dozen steamers (about 18 buckets) - and we can't eat a one of 'em :-(

I can't imagine how the shrimp pathology folks feel........

To add insult to injury, we use Davidson's fixative, and the acetic acid smell makes my mouth water and stomach growl just before we begin shucking.

Regards -
Carol
Carol B. McCollough, HT/HTL(ASCP)
Diagnostics & Histology Laboratory Manager
Oyster Disease Research Project
Fisheries Service
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Cooperative Oxford Laboratory
904 S. Morris Street
Oxford, Maryland 21654
410-226-5193