[Histonet] blade sign

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Sep 7 09:41:38 CDT 2004

Another source of dirt, etc is from the paraffin dispenser. We have
experienced tissues infiltrated and embedded in paraffin from another lab
(of which there is nothing wrong with paraffin from a reliable
manufacturer)  but tissues seemed to have "sand" and sections were a
nightmare. Ribbon looked like a spaghetti factory production.

  After reembedding in another clean paraffin, the sand syndrome
disappeared - suspect was a dirty dispenser and failure to stir the
paraffin BEFORE embedding to redistribute plastic polymers and additives
evenly in the melted paraffin mixture.

At 02:24 AM 9/6/2004, you wrote:
>Jason,
>
>bad batches of blades DO occur, although it would seem not all that
>frequently. It is hard to believe that ALL blocks at your
>facility  contain hard inclusions (unless you are specifically dealing
>with bone & calcified tissue).
>Other things that might contribute are the way you treat your blade -
>wiping it with a Kimwipe before cutting for example, or touching it with
>forceps when picking up sections. Lastly, it may be that there is a
>contaminant in the wax, dust from nearby renovations might become
>incorporated in the embedding wax, thus giving rise to scratched & torn
>sections.
>
>Best regards

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)