[Histonet] registry tissue

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 1 07:11:03 CDT 2004

To those writing in asking for help getting their registry tissue - please
include additional information about the size and content of the tissue.
This information was included in your packet, and the rest of the Histonet
community does not have this information (And be aware that the sizes listed
are AFTER processing, so if tissue in fixative is sent then it must be
larger.)

For example:

- Artery that was requested (HT or HTL) must be 0.5 cm in diameter and a
complete cross-section. So any size will not do, and a longitudinal will not
do.

- Lung -  HT needs lung that is 1 x 1 cm square, while HTL needs lung that
is 1.5 x 1.5 cm square and must have cartilage/bronchus in it.

- Uterus for HT or HTL  must be 1.5 x 1.5 cm square, with myometrium and
endometrium, and the endometrium must cover one entire surface. This means
the uterus had to be big to begin with, not from a post-menopausal 80 year
old.

- Small intestine for both HT and HTL must be 2 cm in length, contain all
layers, not be autolyzed, and the epithelium must cover 1 entire surface.

- Liver for both HT and HTL needs to be 1 x 1 cm square. No other criteria.

I know these criteria, because I help my HT and my HTL students get their
tissues every year. Most people on Histonet would not know these criteria.
These criteria are VERY important to know, before someone volunteers to help
collect tissue. If these criteria are not followed, points will be deducted,
and the person doing the exam will in most likelihood fail. Plus, it has
been a waste of valuable time for the kind person trying to obtain the
tissue.

Please help us to help you.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Schools of Histotechnology